October 6, 2009

Have Grapes. Need Apron.

For dinner last night I modified the Stroganoff Melts recipe from this post. I modified it into a sauce that we ate over egg noodles. While this may seem like a no big deal--it is to me. I am a recipe follower. My measuring cups and spoons get used a lot. 'Eyeballing' is not something that comes naturally. Even 'seasoning to taste' is a bit difficult for me. The more I cook/bake and the more variety I add the easier it gets. By easier, I mean I can now use the 1 tsp to measure 3/4 tsp instead of using the 1/2 tsp and the 1/4 tsp. I kid, I am not quite that bad.

You know. . .thyme is delicious. I should really use it more. But I don't have the knack for tasting something I am cooking and thinking to myself, "Self, you know what would be SO good in this? Why thyme of course." Nope, not a knack I posess. I can hope though. (Honestly that is really (REALLY) far down on my list of hopes.)

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Stroganoff Sauce
from Sparky
Print Recipe

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, diced*
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
4 Tbsp flour
2 cups beef stock
1 tsp thyme
6-8 oz. cream cheese
egg noodles, cooked
shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and onion. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in beef broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Add cream cheese and thyme; stir until melted. Serve over egg noodles. Top with cheese.

*I used 3 Tbsp dried minced onion soaked in 6 Tbsp water. I also add a pinch of dried minced garlic.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Before going home last night PE and I went to Grandpa's house and picked concord grapes. They smelled so good! I can't wait to see the mess that comes from my adventures with said grapes. No matter what I do (juice or freezer jam) there is boiling and straining involved which can be messy with the whitest of fruits/vegetables. Can you imagine the horrors that will be beheld in my kitchen with grapes?!?! Everyone knows grape juice is messy. Everyone! Everyone also knows that no matter how hard you try, grape juice is going to end up somewhere it shouldn't. I really need an apron for this undertaking; however, even with the best laid hints, no one has made me one yet. No one. If you read this, know me, and want to kindly throw an apron my way. . . there is one caveat. It cannot be a bib apron with a strap around my neck like . I have one of those and because of the way it sits on my neck it is just uncomfortable and gives me a big of a headache. A smocklike one like this or this or this or this. Oh, and before anyone asks, "NO, I do not sew nor do I wish to learn how."

Well, I am going to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment