September 13, 2009

Gimp or Hobble Whatever You Call It I'm an Expert

Even with the gimping I was able to do some cooking/baking yesterday and today. Last night I made dinner since Hunting W. was not home and then I made the cobbler I had been craving since I received the peaches on Wednesday. Today, I made breakfast because my ankle was feeling pretty good and then I made some things using the Amish Friendship Bread Starter which made my ankle feel pretty NOT good. So, while I have more plans for the day, I don't know how far I will get with them because I am not sure how much I want to pay for it.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Stroganoff Melts
from Cooking During Stolen Moments
Print Recipe

1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced (optional)
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup beef stock
1 tsp thyme
4 oz cream cheese
french bread, sliced
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, brown ground beef , onion and optional mushrooms. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in beef broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Place sliced french bread on a baking sheet. Cover each with some of the stroganoff mixture and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 until french bread is toasty and cheese is melted, about 8-10 minutes.

++This was very tasty. I happened across it two times as I was reading the recipes in my blog reader and thought I would try it. The original recipe called for English muffins but I thought french bread sounded so much better.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Peach Cobbler I
from eHow.com
Print Recipe

5 peaches, pealed, pitted, diced
1 cup water with 1/2 cup sugar dissolved
1 box of yellow or vanilla cake mix
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Combine butter, sugar, cake mix, and nutmeg. Mix with fingers or fork until mixture becomes crumbly. Grease bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Spread half of cake mixture on the bottom of the pan--don't pack. Spread peaches and pour juice over the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining mixture over peaches and bake for 35 minutes or until browned. Serve warm with ice cream.

++ This was too sweet. It was delicious for the first couple bites then became too much. The additional sugar I am sure added to this--cake mix is sweet enough straight out of the box. Too bad I didn't think of that before everything was all said and done. I also didn't see where the cinnamon came into play in the recipe so I didn't add it, that may have decreased a bit of the sweetness had it been added, I am not sure though. I will not make this again but someone out there might like it. I think I will try another one tonight.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Sour Cream Waffles
from The Sisters' Cafe
Print Recipe

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (1 cube) butter, melted
1 1/3 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream (can use light)
3 large eggs

Heat waffle iron. Lightly oil grids. Meanwhile, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to combine and make a well in the center. Whisk the melted butter, milk and sour cream, and eggs in a medium bowl until well combined and pour into well. Whisk until smooth, do not over mix. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter into the center of each quadrant of the waffle iron and close the iron. Cook until the waffle is golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Serve the waffles hot, with the homemade syrup passed on the side.

++I served diced peaches on the side and they were a delicious addition. PE even liked these waffles which I consider a plus because waffles aren't his favorite and I have a difficult time finding any from scratch recipes he likes.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Amish Friendship Bread
from Allrecipes
Print Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
3 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped**

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, set aside In a large mixing bowl, stir together the Amish Friendship Starter, eggs, oil and vanilla. Gradually stir in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Finally stir in the chopped nuts and apples. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean.

**I made two batches of this. One with the apples and one with grated zucchini. For both batches I divided the dough into two pans (four total) and stirred the walnuts into one pan of each type.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Amish Cornbread
from Armchair World
Print Recipe

1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups cornmeal

Combine in large bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.

Add:
1/4 cup oil
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Mix well. Pour in well-greased 9" pan. Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes.

++This came out a bit darker than other cornbread I have made but had an okay taste to it. The consistency is not as smooth as the cornbread I posted previously but still pretty good.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

From August until February Hunting W. hunts. It starts in August with elk and deer archery then moves onto various birds and small game until February. We do not eat everything he shoots. Thankfully he is pickier about the game he eats than some other hunters I know. In addition he knows pretty tasty ways to cook the game we do eat and he totally understands when I don't like something. Oft times it is a texture thing with me. A lot of game is too slimy or grainy. One of my favorites is pheasant. It tastes a lot like chicken. I will share our favorite recipe for pheasant when we make it later in the season. Yesterday Hunting W. shot three blue grouse--one of the grouse he will eat (he will also eat ruffed grouse but he will not eat sharp-tailed or sage grouse). I just follow his lead with most of the game because I haven't eaten it before. So, below I give you a recipe concocted in Hunting W.'s head.

Blue Grouse a la Hunting W.
6 Blue Grouse breasts
6 slices of bacon
1 can diced green chiles
8 oz cream cheese
6 slices of swiss or provolone cheese

Soak breasts in salt water* overnight (this helps get rid of the blood). Combine green chiles and cream cheese. Slit breasts. Place some of the cream cheese mixture in the breast with a piece of cheese. Wrap with bacon and secure with toothpicks. Grill until cooked through.

*1 tsp to 6 cups water

++These were better than anticipated. They were a little tougher than chicken because the birds use their breasts when flying unlike chickens who just walk around and don't do much flying. I bet this would be a delicious way to cook any bird--I am going to have him try it with some chicken breasts.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

That is all for now but one way or another I will be making another peach cobbler tonight . . . I have to fulfill the craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment