July 20, 2010

Like a Virgin. . .

Margarita that is (what were you thinking?). The other night for "dessert" I made Blended Virgin Margaritas. Once I had it blended I poured some in a glass for PE then added some mango to the rest for Moo and I. PE decided to make a big boy margarita by adding a little tequila to his. We used the Lime Margarita Mix so it took two mangoes before I could even taste it. Last time we made these we added strawberries and that was quite delicious. In the future if we are going to make virgin margaritas I think we will purchase the Strawberry Margarita Mix TOO. I say too because PE only enjoys the lime version and I think the kids would like the sweet flavor of the strawberry mix better. I am not going to post a recipe for the margaritas as you simply throw some ice in the blender pour in the margarita mix then blend. More ice or mix can be added to get the desired consistency.

As to not disappoint I will post a recipe for Creamed Peas and New Potatoes. This was a favorite meal of PE's growing up so I felt a little pressure trying to find a good recipe. I knew the foundation was a simple butter, flour, milk combination; however, I struggle with seasonings and quantities especially the first time I make a meal. I succeeded the first time around producing a meal that rivaled what PE remembered and he said it was equally good the second time.

The peas and potatoes came fresh from our garden but frozen peas could be used in place of those delectable little gems from the garden. The first time we ate this I served it over toast and the second time I served it over leftover hamburger buns that I buttered then broiled in the oven until golden brown.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Creamed Peas & New Potatoes
from RecipeTips.com
Print Recipe

1 lb small new potatoes
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen shelled peas
1 Tbsp minced onion
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup milk

Peel potatoes and cut larger potatoes in half. Skins can be left on, if desired. Place in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 10 minutes. Do not overcook. When the potatoes are done, drain the water off and set them aside. Boil the peas and drain them when finished cooking. Set aside with the potatoes. In a saucepan, add the onion and butter. Cook until the onion is tender, but hasn't browned yet. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until mixed and then add in all the milk and stir into flour mixture until all ingredients are well blended. Continue to stir and cook until the mixture has thickened and begins to bubble. Cook for 1 more minute. Add the potatoes and peas to the cream sauce. Stir until well distributed and thoroughly heated. Season to taste and serve while hot. Serve over toast.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

No comments:

Post a Comment