June 28, 2010

Another Barbecue Sauce

Last time PE made meatloaf he froze some for another time. The other night he divided it up into muffin tins (it cooks much faster that way) and put it in to bake. When PE makes meatloaf he likes to put ketchup or barbecue sauce on the top the last five minutes of baking. What did I not have? No barbecue sauce and only a little bit of ketchup. Why? I didn't have any tomato paste. First I set out to try to find a barbecue sauce recipe that didn't require ketchup. That failed. Then I tried to find a ketchup recipe that used tomato sauce instead of paste. That didn't work either. I am sure had I more time I would have found some recipe somewhere that applied to either of those restrictions.

I settled on modifying my regular ketchup recipe and then using it to make barbecue sauce. Instead of the tomato paste and the water listed in the recipe, I used 8 oz. of tomato sauce then continued on with the recipe (minus the water) and added the ingredients for the barbecue sauce. Since the ketchup was runnier (which I had expected), I added guar gum (1/2 tsp. per cup of liquid) with the seasonings in the barbecue sauce to help thicken it. Once refrigerated the barbecue sauce consistency was perfect. This barbecue sauce has a good flavor. Since eating it on the meatloaf we have put it on hamburgers and that was fantastic.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Barbecue Sauce III
adapted from Good (& CHEAP) Eats
Print Recipe

1 1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp allspice

Stir everything together in a small bowl until well blended. Refrigerate until needed.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

No comments:

Post a Comment