May 23, 2010

Freezer Meal Group - May

As I mentioned last month I really enjoyed that cooking was not part of the freezer meal prep. This month I found two recipe options that would help the enjoyment continue. The recipe option the swap leader chose is Bacon Wrapped Chicken. While this was one of the grosser (raw chicken, ick) meals I have made it wasn't too bad. I assembled half one day and the remaining portion a couple days later. PE flattened the chicken breasts for me the first day--he would have done more but the remaining chicken breasts were frozen.

The biggest problem is that I now have about 3-4 cups of Cream Cheese with Green Onions & Chives left over. I figured the recipe called for 8 ounces per six chicken breasts so I whipped up 64 ounces. What I didn't take into account is that three tablespoons of cream cheese does not stay in the chicken breast when you roll it up. I probably averaged 1.5 to 2 ounces per chicken breast. I am not quite sure what I am going to do with all the extras. I think I am going to freeze it for the next time I make this because there will be a next time. (Instead of freezing mine I cooked them for dinner and served them with Rice Pilaf and steamed vegetables.)

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Bacon Wrapped Chicken
from RecipeZaar
Print Recipe

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
8 oz cream cheese with green onion & chive (recipe below)
6 slices bacon

Flatten chicken to 1/2" thickness. Spread 3 tablespoons cream cheese over each chicken piece. Sprinkle with salt; roll up. Wrap each with a bacon strip. Place, seam side down, in a greased pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 35-40 minutes or until juices run clear. Broil 6 inches from the heat for 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

Freezer: Freeze the uncooked wrapped chicken on a cookie sheet. When solid, wrap and put in a zip top bag or vacuum seal desired quantities. To cook from frozen state, thaw before cooking and follow directions above.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Cream Cheese with Green Onions & Chives
from Tammy's Recipes
Print Recipe

8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp milk or sour cream
1 Tbsp (packed) fresh green onions, sliced thinly or minced
1 Tbsp (packed) fresh chives, sliced thinly or minced
A sprinkle of garlic salt and a dash of pepper

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until fluffy and well-mixed. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! I sometimes have a hard time coming up with "main dishes" that don't involve hamburger. This one looks easy enough that I think I could handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a couple left over and PE cooked them on the grill--that was quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete