April 16, 2010

Cookin' Homemade

Yesterday when I got home from work PE was gone hunting, Moo was at a meeting for a youth group she is a member of, and Bob wanted to play Wii Play so I decided I would make replenish some of our homemade items. I made Ketchup. For the ketchup I needed corn syrup and since I was out/have been trying not to purchase it I made some Simple Syrup which can easily be substituted for the corn syrup in ketchup. I still have yet to try it with my Sticky Popcorn recipe so I don't know if it is a cure all substitute yet. I also made Secret Rib Rub, a new Barbecue Sauce, a Ranch Mix that is supposed to be a Hidden Valley copycat.

PE was very pleased when he returned home and I showed him I had made more Secret Rib Rub and Barbecue Sauce. It is grilling season after all and we enjoy a little sauce on our meat. I was out of milk so I didn't have the opportunity to try the Ranch Mix.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Simple Syrup
from Sparky
Print Recipe

2 cups sugar
1 cup water

Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Heat to a boil over medium heat. Boil for one minute. Cool. Store covered in refrigerator.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Barbecue Sauce II
from allrecipes
Print Recipe

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 Tbsp dry mustard
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 dashes hot pepper sauce

In a blender, combine brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, water and Worcestershire sauce. Season with mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Blend until smooth.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Ranch Mix (Hidden Valley Ranch Copycat)
from Group Recipes
Print Recipe

15 saltine crackers
2 cups dry minced parsley flakes
1/2 cup dry minced onion
2 Tbsp dry dill weed
1/4 cup onion salt*
1/4 cup garlic salt**
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder

For Salad Dressing:
1 Tbsp Ranch Mix
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk

*Onion Salt Substitute: 3 parts salt to 1 part onion powder
**Garlic Salt Substitute: 3 parts salt to 1 part garlic powder

Put crackers through blender on high speed until powdered. Add parsley, minced onions, and dill weed. Blend again until powdered. Dump into bowl. Stir in onion salt, garlic salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Put into container with tight-fitting lid.Store dry mix at room temperature for 1 year.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

No comments:

Post a Comment