April 10, 2010

Bread, Bread, Everywhere Bread

Recently PE's sister came to visit. Since she was in town we got together for a family dinner. We ate lasagna, bread (lots of bread), Broccoli Salad, and store purchased brownies and ice cream. It was decided that in the future sides would be assigned because we had four types of bread and one salad. Everyone had the same thought I did when we were told, "Lasagna is the main dish, bring a side." That thought we all had . . . "Everyone always brings salad so I will bring bread." So I show up with some fabulous (yet oddly sized) Soft Breadsticks and I see some breadsticks & French bread from the store, and some French bread topped with a garlic mixture and tomatoes then baked. All the bread, both of the lasagnas, and the salad were delicious.

This was the first time I made these breadsticks. Fresh out of the oven these things are very reminiscent of the OG's breadsticks. They looked nothing like them. Heck, people thought they were rolls. I never said I was good at uniformity. It actually haunts me. HAUNTS me. I cannot make baked bread-type goods that look anything close to picture worthy. Sure they tasted good but they did not look like breadsticks. When I make stuff I prefer people know what it is without asking. . . call me crazy. Anyway, enough of my hang-ups.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Soft Breadsticks
from Priscilla Bakes
Print Recipe

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar, divided
2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp salt
4 1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 Tbsp sugar in 1 cup warm water. Add the oil, egg, salt, 2 cups flour, and remaining sugar and water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a 6-in. rope. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until slightly brown. Yield: 3 dozen breadsticks.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

No comments:

Post a Comment