November 16, 2009

Freezer Meal Group - November

Sometimes I just don't think things through. Or maybe I just don't understand what I am thinking about. Or something like that. For my November Freezer Swap Meal I made Sausage, Broccoli, & Cheese Turnovers. The recipe I used as a guide mentioned that the turnovers took a little bit of time and I took that into consideration; however, I didn't really think it would take me four plus hours to make 48 or so turnovers. I was so sick of those things by the time I finished that I didn't even want to make rolls out of the extra dough. I let the dogs have it. I will subject myself to making these again though because they are delicious and everyone (except Mr. I Don't Like Green Stuff) loved them. I will make them on a MUCH smaller scale next time.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Crescent Rolls
from Cooking During Stolen Moments
Print Recipe

1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter, softened and cut into chunks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp salt
6 to 6 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Add the milk, butter pieces, sugar, potato flakes, eggs and salt to the bowl. Stir just to combine. Add three cups of flour and mix well; stirring until smooth. Add as much of the remaining flour as possible until a stiff dough forms. Knead a few times or mix with a dough hook for an additional minute. Cover dough and let rise for 15 minutes. Divide dough in half and roll each half into a circle about 1/2 inch thick or a little less. Cut each circle into evenly-sized wedges, about 16-18 each. Roll the wedges of dough from the wide end to the point. Curve ends slightly and place on a cookie sheet. Cover and let rise one hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. The cooked rolls can be frozen and thawed in a few hours on the counter. Or the rolls can be frozen before the second rising.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Sausage, Broccoli, & Cheese Turnovers
adapted from Cooking During Stolen Moments
Print Recipe

crescent roll dough, full batch or 2-3 cans canned crescent rolls
1 lb. bulk pork sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
5-6 cups diced broccoli
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Prepare and let dough rise fully. Divide into 7 portions. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic until sausage is browned. Rinse. In a large mixing bowl, combine fully cooked sausage, broccoli, cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and seasonings. Stir to combine well. Roll out one portion of dough at a time on a floured surface. Roll into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Divide dough into six or eight sections. Place about 1-2 Tbsp of the sausage mixture into the center of each section of dough. Fold over the dough seal seams. Continue this process with the remaining sections and portions of dough. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.

Bake fully before freezing. To reheat, do not thaw first. Place desired number of turnovers on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until heated through.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

In the midst of all the FUN I was having making the turnovers it was my saving grace that I had made the Italian Bread Bowls on Friday and I had Corn Chowder from October's freezer meal swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment