September 25, 2009

Who Wants to Cook Dinner for My Family?

I must be all baked/cooked out. It has been so difficult to get myself motivated to make dinner this week. I have made dinner; however, it has been very begrudgingly.

Monday we had breakfast for dinner (pancakes with syrup and over easy eggs).

Tuesday I didn't cook because we ended up not getting home until 9:30 so we ate drive-thru fare with KLB.

Wednesday night we had spaghetti with Meat Sauce (leftover Meat Sauce mind you).

Last night we ate the BBQ Chicken Pasta I made for the freezer club last month--PE heated the BBQ Chicken and cooked the pasta. It turned out better than anticipated so I will share the recipe below. I am also sharing the recipe for the Chicken Biscuit Casserole since I gave Cooking W. the recipe in the first place.

Tonight PE is taking me on a date up the canyon to eat bratwurst and s'mores by a fire. I can't say I have any definite plans for the kids' dinner, we will see how motivated I am when I get home. Such a change from a couple weeks ago.

If nothing else I will definitely be cooking on Wednesday (September 30) as it will be Moo's birthday and I promised her I would make Aebleskivers. I will also get to make her a cake, she hasn't requested a certain kind as of yet, I will be having her make the decision over the weekend. I know she wants steak for dinner so I will also get her to decide on some sides. Isn't she such a lucky girl that parent teacher conferences fall on her birthday this year? She sure thinks she is.

Moving on. . . I am going to share a file with you. I created a 2010 monthly calendar for the Christmas gifts I will be making and I thought I would share them. They do not have the months at the top as I am planning on stamping the month and adding some embellishments. Also, the format alternates between odd and even months. Odd months are portrait and even months are landscape. I wanted to give myself some options when making the calendars. Click here to view the calendar in Scribd. From there you can print or download the calendar. If you would like the month at the top, I could probably be talked into/bribed to add them.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

BBQ Chicken Pasta
from Dinners in the Freezer
Print Recipe

2 cans chicken*
2 cups onion, chopped
4 Tbsp vinegar
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 Tbsp mustard
2 cups water
1 cup celery, chopped
cooked pasta

Combine all ingredients and pour into freezer bag. Freeze. Thaw, bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes. Serve over pasta.

*I will only use the chicken I canned. You could also use chicken breasts (whole or sliced).

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Chicken Biscuit Casserole
from Organized Home
Print Recipe

3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
3 cups chicken broth
4 carrots, peeled and sliced 1-inch thick
1 onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, sliced 1/2-inch thick
8 oz mushrooms, fresh (optional)
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup peas, canned or frozen
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1⁄3 cup cold water
10 biscuits, uncooked (home-made or canned)

Bring chicken broth to a boil; add carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms and garlic; simmer 10 minutes. Add cubed chicken meat and peas; simmer 5 minutes more. Mix cornstarch with cold water in measuring cup; add slowly until chicken mixture has consistency of gravy. Remove from heat; cool. Pour into gallon size freezer bag and freeze.

To prepare: thaw casserole before cooking. Place in 400-degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and place uncooked biscuits (either from tube or scratch) in slightly-overlapping circles on top of casserole. Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes more, until mixture is bubbling and biscuits are golden brown.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

I will end the post with a funny from Bob. Each night at bed time Bob tells us, "Good night, don't let the bed bugs bite." Well the other night he switched it up a bit and said, "Good night, don't let the squirrels bite your little acorns off." Where do kids come up with such things?!

No comments:

Post a Comment