August 7, 2009

Homemade Yogurt

I have been trying to help myself and my family eat healthier One way I have been accomplishing this is by making more things homemade. One of my and PE's favorite homemade items is yogurt.

Homemade Yogurt
from Sparky
Print Recipe

1 qt milk*
1/3 cup powdered milk
2 Tbsp yogurt starter**

Combine milk and powdered milk in a saucepan. Heat to 180 degrees. Remove to heat and cool to 118 degrees. (To speed up the cooling place saucepan in sink with ice water.) Add starter and stir well. Pour into a yogurt maker and follow manufacturer directions. Yogurt makers can be purchased on Amazon (Salton is a great brand) and are worth the up-front expense.

Yogurt can be sweetened with sugar, honey, stevia, or your choice of sweetener. Add fruit, flax seed, or whatever you enjoy in your yogurt. Another alternative is sugar free Jell-O stirred into the yogurt. I have not added this in my adult life but I do remember adding this to my yogurt when my mother use to make yogurt when I was young.

We have used this yogurt as a sour cream substitute with wonderful results.

*Frugal alternative - use powdered milk
**Use plain yogurt or Yogourmet Freeze Dried yogurt starter can be purchased from most health food stores. You can also use some of the homemade yogurt--after about 10 uses it will be necessary to use a "fresh" starter.

If my directions are not clear, please let me know. I will be happy to help anyone make their own yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment